Check It Out

Saturday, July 5, 2008

America The Beautiful

Our July 4th Holiday Weekend Adventures




Yesterday was of course Bethany's first July 4th! We had an early pancake breakfast with our ward to start out the celebrations. Yum-O! The rest of the day was spent just relaxing and hanging out. We went to lunch and browsed some furniture stores. We didn't have to go far for a fireworks display . . . they were all over our neighborhood . . . we just watched from our backyard. Very convenient and a nice day overall!


Ryan and I had talked about "getting out of town" and finally decided on a day trip up to Mt. Charleston and Lee Canyon today. It is only about an hour drive from our place up into the nearby mountains of NV. The best part is that is looks NOTHING like the desert! Hooray for a change of scenery.



We decided to take a hike on some trails and push Bethany in her jogging stroller. It worked for a ways, then the trail got steeper and a little more difficult. We were just happy with the beautiful views we enjoyed the entire day. So much different from the busy buzz of Las Vegas. I am so grateful to live in this beautiful country!! We need to get outside more often and this was a very great idea.


At this point the camera batteries died and we were only about half way through our day! SAD! We took a break from hiking for a picnic lunch. We found a beautiful meadow along the road with tall pine trees for a little shade. It was the perfect lunch. As I was getting our sandwiches ready I took out the mustard I had packed and when I opened it, it exploded all over my legs, socks and shoes. Oh the fun . . . I guess the change in elevation caused pressure to build up in the mustard bottle. Who knew!?!? So I went around for the rest of the day smelling of yellow mustard. Mmmm! I can't complain to much on the elevation change because it made for a wonderful weather day . . . mid 80's, cool mountain breeze . . . it was PERFECT! Back in LV today it was around 110 degrees! We are so glad to have spent the day at Mt. Charleston.

After lunch we headed back out on the trails for another hike . . . this time we put Miss Bethany in her baby backpack. Ryan packed her on his back and she was so tuckered out already from the fun day that she fell asleep riding on her daddy's back. So sweet! I really wished I had an extra set of batteries for my camera to capture the moment! Live and learn. We still had a ton of fun. It is all about making memories and we have succeeded with that today.

Happy days all around!

2 comments:

Verity said...

Very fun! Hurray for "making memories!" :)

Jen said...

Yay for fun Las Vegas memories!