For anyone who is a member of our church you'll understand this next little story . . . and you'll understand even if you aren't!
Yesterday at church durning Sunday school we were having a lesson on Alma & Amulek, etc. We have a GREAT Sunday school teacher that always does a fantastic job on her lessons (she is a teacher by profession - college level!) Anways . . . we have this one sister from our ward that we like to call "deep doctrine lady". She sometimes over powers the lessons with her thought and inputs. So, we were discussing Alma & Amulek and this special sister raises her hand and comments something like this . . . (speaking of Alma & Amulek) . . . "They are a couple of BAD A!#*^ " (insert the other word for donkeys here) . . . Oh my goodness . . . did she actually call them that in Sunday school!!! Yes, she did. Then later on in the lesson the same deep doctrine sister brought up a very controversial subject that had NOTHING to do with the lesson. Sometime Sundays are hard. Yesterday was no exception. Kuddos to the teacher for keeping the lesson grounded and on topic!
Sigh! This comes from the same ward where for the better part of a year we had to look up on the stand each Sunday to see one of the young men who sported a tall, spiked, bright green mohawk. Seriously. Don't even get me stared on how ridiculous I think mohawks are. They weren't cool in the 80's and they aren't cool now - especially at church. And now there is the whole baby mohawk hair trend going on . . . what is the world coming to?
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Well, I'll tell you what the world is coming to...an end! And even though I agree that Alma and Amulek were a couple of bad a*&%'s, she could have used a descriptive term that was a little...no a lot...more appropriate and respectful to describe two of the strongest, most valiant men in ancient America.
Wow. Hang in there, Lori! That's some crazy stuff--here's hoping things will be more "normal" for you in Texas!
Unbelievable! Sometimes it makes you want to shake your head. Can't wait for us both to be in Texas!
Well, the mohawk guy will hopefully turn out ok...Chris did and he had long hair colored every coler available during High School. :) Just glad the kid's going to church, as I'm sure you are too. Eh, if you want to cuss, do it on your own time. We have an old man who also brings up controversial things and just likes to splurt out questions in a challenging tone which can also be frusterating, because sometimes I think he's a chauvenist pig. But hey, at least I don't have to live with it! :) Be yourself, but it'd be nice if people had some tact for and understanding about their surroundings.
The Lord loves mohawks, too. LOL. And I agree - Moffitt turned out wonderfully.
As for the comments in SS...we call that a "doctrinal peeing contest" in our home. We either laugh or tune it out. They're usually profanity free, though - eek!!
Actually, my very own brother once had a mohawk as well and he too turned out wonderful . . . it isn't about the person - I don't judge a person for having one, I am just saying that in my opinion it lacks reverance and is a big distraction (for me at least) during the scarament, especially when the spiked, green mohawk boy is blessing and passing it.
I'll have to check with Rochelle to see if there are any mohawks and SS profanity in Frisco 4. :o)
I'm lucky to have a great ward without too many weirdos. Just a couple of smug marrieds who look at me like there must be something terribly wrong with me since I'm not married. (not surprisingly, one of the smug marrieds is related to some other smug marrieds who used to be in the D11 bishopric...)
Oh Lori! I am laughing my head off! Well, at least your meetings aren't boring!
Post a Comment