Check It Out

Saturday, May 17, 2008

You May Wonder . . .

Some may wonder from my earlier post just how is it that I have my 5 and1/2 month old sleeping a peaceful 11 to 12 hours a night? She was actually sleeping around 7 to 8 hours at a time when she was just almost 4 months old.

It's a little thing I picked up called "On Becoming Baby Wise". The book can be found at any store that sells books and the authors are Gary Exzzo and Dr. Robert Buckman. There are also more books about toddlers, etc. I figure I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Here is a small excerpt from the preface of the book:
  • Yes, one day people will stop you on the street, at the grocery store, and in church to comment, "Your baby is so content." Then they will insult you with the following statement: "You're so lucky to have such an easy baby. What? Sleeping through the night already? How old is she? You're really luck!"

So when people say those things to me I am not at all insulted . . . I just figure they have no idea that I worked VERY HARD to get Bethany to sleep all night! Of course I still believe that part of it lies in her sweet disposition, but part also is because I taught her the 'Baby Wise' program and how to have great sleep patterns. I do feel VERY sorry for any moms out there who have children over 1 yr who are still not sleeping the night through. So sad! I wouldn't be able to handle the sleep deprivation!

Bethany is a very happy, well rested, easy going, mellow baby for the most part. And now you all know why. I have personally witnessed the 'Baby Wise' program work for 9 of my nieces and nephews and they ALL have great sleeping habits to this day!

Now, I realize that this is not for every mom and baby, but if you are having a baby soon or plan to have more children in the future it couldn't hurt to check it out. It works for bottle fed or nursed babies. Thought I would pass it along. I plan to do 'Baby Wise' with all of my future babies!

Bethany is a sweetheart!

2 comments:

Molly said...

We tried "Baby Wise," only to discover that Ollie is totally a critter of habit on his own. He eats at almost the same times every day. We are down to 2-3 nights a week that he wakes up...we'll get there!

Julie said...

We love Baby Wise at our house too!! Addie still sleeps almost 12 hours at night and 2-3 during the day. Aside from the sleep...it just gave me confidence as a new mom to know if she was crying out of hunger, sleepiness, or just for the heck of it! So glad it worked for you!