Mother's Day
(these are pictures from before and after church) I officially became a mother last November. The first phone conversation I had with my mom that afternoon went something like this . . . "Mom! I'm a mommy!" Those simple words will always ring true in my heart. I can't describe all the gratitude, appreciation and love I have for my mom and her selfless ways. She comforts, she supports, she forgives, she teaches and she loves. I can only hope to be all those things in all those ways as my years of mothering progresses.
This is one of my recent favorites . . . I took an excerpt from her talk last fall. "A Mother Heart" By: Julie B. Beck
I was recently at a park where I met a group of women with mother hearts. They were young, covenant-keeping women. They were bright and had obtained advanced degrees from respected universities. Now they were devoting their considerable gifts to planning dinner that evening and sharing housekeeping ideas. They were teaching two-year-olds to be kind to one another. They were soothing babies, kissing bruised knees, and wiping tears. I asked one of those mothers how it came about that she could transfer her talents so cheerfully into the role of motherhood. She replied, “I know who I am, and I know what I am supposed to do. The rest just follows.” That young mother will build faith and character in the next generation one family prayer at a time, one scripture study session, one book read aloud, one song, one family meal after another. She is involved in a great work. She knows that “children are an heritage of the Lord” and “happy is the [woman] that hath [a] quiver full of them” (Ps. 127:3, 5). She knows that the influence of righteous, conscientious, persistent, daily mothering is far more lasting, far more powerful, far more influential than any earthly position or institution invented by man. She has the vision that, if worthy, she has the potential to be blessed as Rebekah of old to be “the mother of thousands of millions” (Gen. 24:60).
So HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the women I know and love who have a mother heart. You don't have to have children to know how to love them. You don't have to have children to know how to teach them. It is inside us all no matter what.
I LOVE being a mother & I LOVE my mom!
A special note to my loving husband for making me feel special and loved on my very first mother's day. You are the best Ryan! You help me be the mother I want to be. Thank you.

4 comments:
Lori,
I love the post! Hope you had a great mother's day...mine was good and Corey did a great job. I posted on my blog what the kids' cards said that they made in school, I will post pictures in the morning since I am so lazy tonight being hot and pregnant. Well, take care and I know you are a great mom and Bethany is so lucky to have you!
I loved this, Lori! Thanks so much!!!
What a beautiful post! I love the black and white of you and Bethany.
A belated happy mother's day - I hope it was great!
Post a Comment