Friday, April 18, 2008
Any Suggestions Would Be Helpful
I am having a garage sale next weekend and really have no idea what I am doing. It is my official first one. Please, pretty please tell me any and all advice and counsel on what I should be doing to have a great, successful sale. I have at least cleaned out all the things I want to sale . . . now the hard part - the actual Garage Sale. Let me know what you know about the world of "one person's junk is another person's treasure!" Thanks ~ I really appreciate it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I haven't hosted many garage sales but I have shopped at my fair share. Tip #1: sell sodas and bottles of water. Make a big sign and put it in front of your cooler. People will buy them. Tip #2: Don't try to price every individual thing. Just put all of the $1 stuff on a blanket or table or something and make one big sign for it. Tip #3: If you want to get rid of it, you might have to bargain and come down on your price. Tip #4: If someone wants something big and has to come back for it, take thier money first and then move it out of sight so everyone else isn't stopping to ask you about something that is already sold. Tip #5: find someone to help you that speaks spanish.
Maybe you already know all of this, maybe you don't, but I hope it was helpful! :)
Price things to sell. And, same as Rhia's #1 -- buy a case of water and sell bottles of cold water for $1 each. People are especially interested in furniture, so if you're selling furniture, mention that in your ad. I'm guessing you're not ready to part with the #1 thing people are looking for -- baby stuff. Try having your sale on a Friday and Saturday -- not just Saturday. Good luck!
i am a big fan of the table of stuff that is one price. everytime i do that it goes fast. i made $300 dollars one garage sale on really lowpriced baby clothes and VHS movies and other random stuff by having it all on different tables for certain prices. good luck!!
I agree with the above, just make sure you know which stuff came from which table. I think organization plays a lot in selling as well, as in layed out not just piled up somewhere. Definitely have a second or even third person there to help you keep an eye on your stuff so no one gets the 5-finger-discount. I've also heard of tag sales going really well--that way you don't have to answer EVERY question about price. Also, start really early, like 7am (if it's light outside). The true shoppers start early and they've already checked out the paper and Craigslist ads, so advertise.
a stiff drink. oh wait...not an option!!
Post a Comment