Check It Out

Monday, March 10, 2008

Addictions With A British Accent

I must confess - I am addicted to BBC movies and Masterpiece theater lately. I quess you can call me a BBCmaterpiece-aholic. I have always been a fan of the historical-British-romance kind of movie and now am I just can't get enough. Seriously, these movies are like a drug, especially when I have to wait to watch the next one.

So here are some of the movies I recommend to any one who takes pleasure from movies based on classic novels and other BBC/Masterpiece movies . . .

Aside from all the Jane Austen books and movies (which I have seen all of them and love them of course) ~ here are the others I have fallen prey to:

By Charles Dickens:
Bleak House
Our Mutual Friend
A Tale of Two Cities

The Brontes:
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights

Others:
North & South
Lorna Doone
Tess of the D'urbervilles
Daniel Deronda
The Forsythe Saga
MiddleMarch
Wives & Daughters

On my list to see:
Woman in White
Monarch of the Glen
The Inheritance
Berkely Square

If you have any other suggestions or know of any others I can add to my list to see please don't hesitate to tell me!

:-) Lori

2 comments:

Erica said...

Girl- we are so movie buddies.
I got sucked IN by the Forsyte Saga. That Soames is a lunatic. Ok on to reccomendations....

Did you know that on PBS recently they had the writer of the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice go back and rewrite all the Jane Austen Novels?

I have Mansfield Park(not great) and Persuasion and Northanger Abbey(awesome and cheesy) DVR'd. They also did a Miss Austen Regerets about Jane's life but it was on super bowl sunday and my family messed up my recording so I haven't seen it yet.

Let's see what else can I recommend? There are a bunch of old british movies based on Catherine Cookson novels that are all about depressing romantic situations. Some are pretty good. I have the benefit of a rockin local library where all the old ladies donate dvd's in that genre.

I just watched Lillie and The Jewel in the Crown. They were both OK. Super old and cheesy.

Erica said...

Beacuse I'm such a nerd I now have more to add.

A) I own Berkeley Square if you wanna borrow it when you get here.
It rocks hard.

B)I love Wilkie Collins and The Moonstone is awesome if you haven't seen it already. It has Greg Wise. SCORE! Heheee.

And I want to say although I am super obsessed with these movies I did spend 3 months taking care of my grandmother last summer who has all the old lady movie channels and that did contribute to my having seen like all the movies on your list. Just so you know I'm not THAT crazy.