Check It Out

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Politics


Politics - and I don't mean the current presidential campaign. I am talking good old fashion Las Vegas politics here . . . the real deal. We attended a kick-off party tonight for Ryan's cousin (M. Leavitt) for re-election to District Court Judge here in LV. It was my real first experience with anything like it before. We had Judge this & Judge that & Judge so-and-so come over to introduce themselves and see our baby girl. One older gentleman Judge came over and he said quote "You better hide that baby because there are so many politicians in the room and they are all going to come over and kiss her." And they did - again and again. I had never seen anything quite like it. It was so much fun to see all handshaking and elbowrubbing going on between the men and women of the judicial system of Las Vegas, Nevada. It was enthralling - seriously. I just sat back and Judge-watched as a wide eyed nonattorney, nonjudge, nonpolitician gal. One of the most intersting and exciting parts of the evening was when Ryan pointed out one of the men in attendance as being an attorney who survived during the mob days of Vegas. I think the man had actually been a victim of an attempted car bombing back in the day and came out unscathed. It sounded like something right out of the movie "Casino" with Robert DeNiro and Sharron Stone. Crazy! Anyway, we are helping out the campaign by putting up a sign in our yard. Anything we can do to help! What a fun night. Bethany was an angel through it all. Moral of this story - if I ever want help from a judge here in Vegas, just bring my baby along . . . she is now officially a judge-charmer!

No comments: