Check It Out

Friday, December 7, 2007

In Other News


Aside from fun baby news these past two weeks, our little family has been dealing with some crazy adventures and headaches (or bellyaches in my case!) I thought I would share it with you now as things have calmed down quite a bit and I am feeling soooo much better today.

Victims of Vandalism ~

As you can see from the beautiful photo, there is something not right with my car windshield. Yes, well - last Friday morning around 1:00 am Ryan & I had just finished putting baby down after her feeding when we heard a loud banging-smashing noise outside. Ryan rushed out to find my poor car had been beaten up, apparently with a baseball bat. At the time we had a cute baby stork sign in the yard that displayed "It's a Girl" & it had been beaten up as well. Upon further investigation the neighbors who had come outside to see what happened discovered some Christmas decorations from another house had been taken and thrown down the street. We believe that some stupid kids with nothing better to do who may or may not have been drinking decided to pick on us, the people with a new baby. SAD! Well, the police were called but since it wasn't an "emergency" the nice officer didn't show up until 5:00 am. He took the police report & said there really wasn't anything else they could do about it. We got the windshield fixed pretty quickly for a good price. Agagaghhahahahgghgha!

On top of all that . . .

After coming home from the hospital last week I kept bleeding through my steri-strips holding my c-section incision together. I didn't think much of it until last Thurs & Friday when I started to hurt and the pain increased on my right side where the bleeding was. I called my doctor and they had me come in right away last Friday afternoon. I didn't know what to expect but I wasn't prepared for what was about to happen to me. Right there on the exam table the nurse practitioner started to push on my belly, took a look at my bleeding incision and "POP" she opened me up and the blood started to gush. Ryan was watching the whole thing and he started to get a little pale so I told him to leave the room and get a drink of water. The nice nurse lady said this was work for the doctor to do so she left to go find him. Wonderful ~ this wasn't shaping up to be a good day. My Dr. was out of the office so I got to be tortured by his partner. Since I wasn't his patient & we had just met one minute before he stared to poke me with long q-tip-stick things, I guess he felt that putting me in the second worse pain I had ever experienced was no big deal and I still had a stress hangover from the car thing the night before ~ yikes! Ryan was back in the room with me by now and I was sobbing uncontrollably as he tried to comfort me and keep me focused. At one point I managed to ask the Doc how much longer it would take and he said he would try to keep it under 10 minutes. Are you kidding me? Ten more minutes of this? It felt like hours, especially since I had complete feeling of everything and I was VERY awake through the whole ordeal.


After all that they discovered I had a post-surgery complication called a hematoma (a very icky blood clot under the skin) It apparently happens to some women after a c-section delivery. Lucky me!!! Why do I get all the fun?


Here is a likely explanation of what could have happened to me during surgery - I found it on the internet:

"The small hematoma was most likely caused by a small vessel that kept bleeding until it was stopped by either suturing or pressure. As the surgeon was sewing (and probably cauterizing any bleeding vessels) around the hematoma it appeared to be expanding, but apparently not enough to make him/her think that it would be a problem."

Anyway ~ since all that last week I have had a home-health nurse come over twice a day to change my dressings and bandage my wound. We finally get to go to once a day starting today! Hooray for progress. I have to see my OB once a week until this all gets cleared up. Thank goodness for really great drugs - I have become great friends with them since this all began.

. . . AND THAT'S THE REST OF THE STORY!

Tune in later for more Baby Bethany news.


2 comments:

Molly said...

Oh, Lori! I am so sorry for the car and the giant abdominal boo-boo. I had super-glue instead of steri-strips, which has been both weird (talk about pulling and tugging) and cool (no stiches! sweet!). You guys are in our prayers - take care and call me if you need to. I have the same number as always!

Ruth said...

right after we had caitlyn someone bashed in our car window and stole the stereo that i had just gotten installed for james for father's day. so sorry for all the added stress it's no fun to deal with that junk. glad that you are alright with all the belly issues. take care of yourself your cute little girl needs you up and around